Friday, December 14, 2012

In the beginning... there was dirt and crud.

Diamond in the Rough

This is Old Yeller as found - in the owner's front yard.  No "For Sale" sign anywhere around - just this truck parked curiously near the highway...  "Was it for sale?", I wondered...  Drive by once.  Drive by twice.  Then the fateful moment - I saw the man who owned this old MoPar working in the yard.  "Couldn't hurt to just stop and ask..." 

Is that old Dodge of yours for sale, I asked casually.  Well, I'm not real sure, came the reply.  "You see, I've had that old truck for a long time - belonged to my father-in-law - but, my wife says I should get it fixed up or else get rid of the thing."  Now it's been my studied observation that the female of the species sees little value in a vehicle that is crusty, rusty and old.  They just don't see the potential - or the use for that matter.  Just get rid of the old thing is the prevailing attitude.  "Use it or lose it."  The male of the species on the other hand tends to gain a certain hard to explain attachment to mechanical things, especially vehicles, and especially vehicles we have known for a long time - as in four plus decades.

I think for the man, by pushing the truck out near the road, he was saying (under his breath), "Be free my child, run like the wind." But, by not putting any signage on the vehicle indicating if it might be for sale, he was in essence only giving it a half-hearted try (as if saying to the truck, "Don't blame me.  I didn't want to sell you.")  This way he had cover both ways.  The truck couldn't blame him totally for abandoning her nor could the wife say he hadn't tried.  "I put it out by the road, Dear, but no one showed any interest."  All the while, the hope was that no one would show any interest, but alas came I.

Now maybe I'm a sucker.  Maybe you think I got took.  Maybe I bought not only a truck, but had to purchase a load of emotional attachment to go along beside.  Maybe so.

At any rate; buy it I did.  Not immediately mind you, oh no, you don't just sell of a member of the family that way.  He and I dickered back and forth for a week or more.  

So finally, the deal was done and the journey began...

Stay tuned. 

1 comment:

  1. That blog is quite helpful to us. we provide Chevy Truck Panels , When you are searching to buy excellent quality Chevy Truck Panel, Carolina Classic Trucks is committed to offering a vast range of auto body repair parts, repair panels, and restoration parts for trucks.

    ReplyDelete